Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Are you as sick of Julie & Julia as I am?

I must confess, I was really looking forward to seeing Julie & Julia, the new Norah Ephron flick about Julia Child and Julie Powell.

For one thing, it has a really good trailer.

Second, I was really impressed with the few clips I've seen of Meryl Streep doing her Julia Child shtick. (Although, for my money, nothing will compare with Dan Aykroyd.) I would have thought she was all wrong for the part -- but she has Child's bonhomie down pretty flat, as well as her horsy voice. (The great Pauline Kael once said -- I'm paraphrasing -- that Streep makes her career out of overcoming being miscast. Touche, Pauline, touche.)

Third, it's about food. And I am usually pretty comfortable -- when nothing else is on -- just looking at the Food Network for an hour or so.

And, finally, the other star of this is Amy Adams. Lucious, red-headed, sassy, adorable Amy Adams. Sigh. (I definitely have a crush.)

But I can't be the only one who thinks this picture is already way too overexposed. How many freaking articles are The Times, The Post and a dozen other newspapers and magazines going to run? (My least favorite was the fawning profile of Nora Ephron in the New Yorker a couple of weeks ago.)

The movie isn't out yet, and I'm totally over it.