Friday, July 4, 2008

Yet another savvy businessman ...

Last night, my friend Noah took me to another bar which rivals Crocodile Lounge in terms of inventiveness for luring tightwads out of their lair:

1, 2, 3, burger, shot, beer in Hell's Kitchen on 10th avenue.

The concept of 1, 2, 3 is that the burger is one dollar, shots are two dollars and beers are three bucks. (The burgers are little sliders -- and you have to buy a minimum of three.) We spent a good two-plus hours there, had at least 10 beers between us, another half dozen or so shots and a lot of food -- our total for the two of us was less than $50. (Slightly more with tip.)

No matter how you look at that, that's a good deal by New York standards.

I will admit that the burgers were a little greasy. The service a little slow. The beer a little watery. The music featured Kelly Clarkson. And I couldn't taste that much alcohol in the shots. (So, no, I wasn't as blown away by it as I was by Croc.) But you certainly don't feel ripped off at the end of the day. And despite its problems, it was still an excellent time. Even if it was greasy, the food wasn't at all terrible (our waitress talked us into something called peanut butter wings which I was expecting to hate but wound up liking). The waitresses were extremely cute. And the place was hopping. If Noah was more willing to serve in wingman capacity, there were quite a few good looking women there who I might have approached.

Over all, really smart idea. Very good time. Check it out.