Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pretty funny rejection letter

I usually do my best to cover up my moments of schlubby rejection, but this is a funny one --

Backstory: I pitched the idea of where a schlub goes to dine, drink and carouse to Time Out New York a week or so ago. (Or, alternatively, a schlub's best date spots.)

Here's what the feature's editor wrote me back:

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the story idea, but we’ll pass. It’s a nichey service idea that doesn’t translate to the mag.

Do feel free to send other pitches to our deputy ed Billie Cohen (XXXXXXXXXXXXXX).

Many thanks

Clare
--
Clare Lambe Malchman
Senior Features Editor
Time Out New York


Forgetting the "Hey Matt" part of the note, I don't think I've ever felt so much like Ben Stiller in my entire life... I was sorely tempted to call Ms. Malchman and say, "Uh, you guys put out a calendar magazine. Based in New York. Nichey and servicey aren't good things for a local calendar magazine?"