Thursday, September 10, 2009

The best speech of Barack Obama's political career?

I think it's possible.

No, it probably wasn't as good as the President's speech on race (which nearly brought tears to my sap-happy eyes). But I think it was better than his acceptance speech for the Democratic nomination. And better than his inaugual address.

I know that some of my wussy Democratic friends were starting to lose faith in Obama. One friend posted something on his Facebook status saying that he wished Obama were more like Jed Bartlett. (I, for one, am extremely grateful that he isn't.)

But last night should remind one and all how Obama can light a fire in your heart.

He was precise, logical, passionate, and good -- everything I voted for.

Unlike my friends on the left, I wasn't too worried that Obama would wind up passing something. He has to. I was mostly worried that it would be watered down and not nearly as good as it could be.

But I think Obama just shook things up. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the public option is in the final bill.