Saturday, December 3, 2011

Life imitates Onion headlines

Rumors of extramarital affair end campaign of presidential candidate who didn't know China has nuclear weapons

Thus spake The Onion in a headline that was:

a) 100 percent true.

b) Not needing a follow-up story to go with it.

I weep for my country.

Of course, I will happily cast my vote next November for Barack Obama (yes, I still think the guy is a ninja) so I'm not following the GOP nomination process too closely...

But, seriously, how did we get this far?

The front-runner for the nomination of one of the two major parties in this country did not know that our biggest world rival has nuclear weapons. (Which they've had for, uh, almost half a century.) That's Sarah Palin-level ignorance.

And this is not even mentioning his incomprehensible ravings on Libya...

But I suppose Americans love a circus. And that's what they're getting. The cynic in me feels a little disappointed Herman couldn't stay in a little longer -- he was the most entertaining of the bunch. (Minus, of course, The Donald.)