Sunday, June 29, 2008

Apparently, the Mouth ain't all talk

Of course, the stories of the insane bets that degenerate poker players have made over the years are legion. There are great stories about the kind of batshit crazy stuff that Stuey Ungar used to bet on. (He was a notoriously bad gambler at everything except poker. Could easily drop $50,000 on the golf course.)

But it's always nice to hear the tales of the new generation, and Michael Kaplan (who I sort of know) has a terrific story in the Times about the recent spate of lunatic bets being made in Las Vegas.

I was very impressed; apparently Mike "The Mouth" Matusow recently went from 241 pounds down to 181 pounds to win a $100,000 bet. If Ted Forrest wants to bet me $100,000 that I can't get down to 181 in one year, I'll seriously consider taking him up on it.