Sunday, June 29, 2008

Is this man a schlub?

Uh, yeah. Adam Sandler is a mega-schlub.

In fact, should you wish to see his schlubbiness on full display, by all means check out, "You Don't Mess With the Zohan." I saw it this weekend, and I admit to letting loose a few guilty chuckles of laughter. (Some of the Israeli jokes were really spot on. Others, not so much. But it was a lot better than "I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry.")

Sandler is one of those weird cases where I sometimes think he isn't that much of a schlub, actually. And I am one of the few people I know (besides my parents) who think he might have hidden depths as an actor. He wasn't a schlub in (the extremely underrated) "Punch Drunk Love" -- he was just extremely strange. He wasn't a schlub in (the also underrated) "Spanglish." Just the ultimate nice Jewish boy.

But someone got the idea of casting him as the Israeli Warren Beatty in "Shampoo." An inspired idea in its total insanity. And in that role the schlub shines through clearest of all.