Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Calculating the odds

An editor of mine and I were discussing the possibility of a New Yorker apology for the terrorist-fist-bump cover.

"I've been talking to a bunch of friends about this," he said. "They were all so sure that the New Yorker would issue an apology. I said, 'I'll give you three-to-one odds that they won't issue an apology... but you'll have to bet me like $5,000.'"

I tend to agree. An apology is extremely unlikely. There might (as my editor pointed out) be some quiet apologies to advertisers. Maybe even an off-the-record phone call to David Axlerod. (Or even the candidate himself.) But a public apology? I don't think so. (Especially since the Obama campaign isn't really calling for one.)

But it any one has five grand that they'd like to bet with, email maxgrosstheauthor@gmail.com, and I'll help broker this bet.

PS - Cover aside (which I didn't particularly care for) it's a pretty good issue. Ryan Lizza has an interesting piece on how Obama learned to be a political street fighter in Chicago. (I always knew, messianic fantasies aside, the man was incredibly shrewd. You don't take on -- and beat! -- the most calculating political machine in the Democratic party -- the Clintons -- without political street smarts.) And my old college pal, Ben Wallace-Wells, has a great theory-of-everything science piece. (Which I don't see online.)