Sunday, October 4, 2009

If you're considering a heartattack...

To my Queens readership out there, I'd like to make a recommendation:

Hunan House, in Flushing. (137-40 Northern Blvd.)

Every time I go to Flushing I inevitably wind up at Spicy and Tasty. Which is great, but if you're looking for a little variety in your Chinese food, you should give HH a try. I went there with the schlubette a few nights ago (we're not dating!) and the menu was incredibly authentic. (There's not a General Tso's chicken in sight.)

Maybe even more authentic than Spicy and Tasty. (For a full rundown on the weird dishes on the menu, check out Joe DiStefano's article. I wasn't that brave.) Much less crowded. And cheaper.

The dan dan noodles were thick and delicious -- and only $4.95. (And perhaps hearty enough for a lunch.)

We ordered something called a pumpkin cake which I can best describe as a pumpkin latke. Very tasty. (Very not good for you.) And unlike most potato latkes, which has a lumpy consistency, the pumpkin filling was pureed down to something smooth and delicious.

Finally we had the Mao's Braised Pork dish. Which only people who do not have health problems should eat. The pork was served in thick cubes that were half-fat, half-meat. I stuck with eating only the meat half and the greens it came with. And the dish was so decadent that we only ate half of it. But I will also say it was outrageously delicious -- some of the best pork I've ever tasted.

If you go, just bring the lipator.